Sunday, January 07, 2007

EXCLUSIVE: Strangler suspect's prison letter

Exclusive by James Weatherup

THE man accused of murdering five Suffolk prostitutes has poured out his soul in a dramatic letter from behind bars.

Strangler suspect Steve Wright insisted to lover Pam Goodman, pictured below, that he did not kill the girls, whose naked bodies were found dumped around the outskirts of Ipswich.

"Please believe me when I say I'm not capable of those crimes," he pleaded.

Awaiting trial in south-east London's tough Belmarsh prison, 48-year-old Wright spoke out for the first time, revealing he is under a round-the-clock watch by guards.

"I am worried how you are coping with this nightmare," he told his partner of eight years in three pages littered with spelling mistakes (which we have left in).

"I keep hopeing I am going to wake up and realise it was only a bad dream.

Flak

"I don't want you to worry about me.

"I am stronger in mind and body than I make out.

"I know this is a frightening place but I am coping well at the moment as long as I know that you are all right."

Wright then begged Pam, 61, not to take any notice of what people are saying about him.

"I just want you to remember that I love you very much and I always have," he said.

"I just wish I had shown you more, you are my whole life.

"I know this must be tough on you because you are out there takeing all the flak. Weather bad comments from people who do not know us.

"I know that you will have the support of your friends and you will be OK. Try not to worry about me too much but I know that you will.

"Thinking about you is keeping me strong."

A close pal of the couple, who leaked the letter to us, revealed last night: "Pam burst into tears when she got it through the post on Thursday. She's been on a rollercoaster of emotion since Steve was arrested.

"She kept reading it and re-reading it and wouldn't put it down.

Stressed

"She is completely devastated by what's happened and feels she's been left high and dry.

"She's done nothing wrong but can't get back into her home to pick up clothes or anything personal.

"She's got nowhere to live and friends are having to put her up at a secret location just outside Ipswich.

"She's been prescribed tranquillisers by her doctor so she can keep calm. The enormity of this hasn't hit her yet.

"She's lost loads of weight because she couldn't eat for a week when it all blew up. She's still very stressed.

"The police have frozen her bank accounts so she's in complete limbo. They've even taken her phone so friends can't contact her."

Wright asked whether Pam had got her a Christmas present, not knowing that cops seized everything in their house at London Road, Ipswich.

He said he is desperate for more tobacco, spends his time watching TV movies and wants her to get a landline so he can make cheap calls to her.

"I have a televisoin outside my cell which I watch through the bars so you know I'm keeping up with all the soaps," he wrote.

"Mind you,EastEnders is a bit boring lately."

Then Wright detailed how he spent the three days after Boxing Day just like millions across Britain—glued to ITV's afternoon blockbuster repeats of the Back To The Future and Jurassic Park trilogies.

"I even watched The Railway Children, believe it or not," he added. "You know me, if the telly is on I have got to watch it.

"I am still trying to get the hang of rolling cigerettes because that is all they have in here.

"They gave me a smoker's pack when I first arrived but that went a couple of days ago so I am chewing my fingers a bit.

"I get £2.50 a week from the prison which will buy me a packet of tobacco. I suppose that will last three days if I smoke spareingly. When you come and see me, if you could bring me some boxer shorts and socks and some T-shirts and trainers."

Wright revealed he is reading a book lent to him by a prison officer and added: "Ninety-five per cent of them are OK.

Stupid

"Some have been really helpful. I'm on constant watch here which means I have a prison officer outside my cell 24 hours a day.

"I suppose it's to make sure I don't do anything stupid but you make me strong, honey.

"The thought of you pulling for me gives me a tremendous boost. I have got to finish this letter now so I can get it in the post. Just know that I love you very much.

"All my love and my thoughts are with you."

In a dramatic new twist last night it emerged that partner Pam has been barred from visiting Wright because of red tape. She cannot get in to see him because she can't prove her identity.

Another pal of the couple told us: "With the house closed up and everything taken away Pam hasn't got access to her passport, driving licence or even a utility bill which prison authorities need to prove who she is.

"She's very upset and desperate to see Steve as soon as possible.

"But she has now asked the police to see if they can get her permission."

On Friday Wright's estranged dad Conrad, 70, also said he wanted to visit his son, who is awaiting trial for the killings of Gemma Adams, 25, Tania Nicol, 19, Anneli Alderton, 24, Annette Nicholls, 29, and Paula Clennell, 24,.

"I'll look him in the eye and I'm certain that I'll know if he's done it," he said.

No comments: