Sunday, May 14, 2006

7/7 Victory

Survivor gets £10 compensation

By Keith Gladdis

A SURVIVOR of the 7/7 London bombings has received just £10 from the government.

Professor John Tulloch, 63, whose blood-soaked face became one of the enduring symbols of the atrocity, suffered head and thigh injuries and hearing loss due to perforated eardrums.

But he revealed: "I have so far only received £10 to cover the cost of the photos of my remaining scars that the government has asked for."

However, he said he has been given a "few thousand pounds" by the London Bombings Charitable Fund.

The sociology lecturer was sitting opposite terrorist Mohammed Sidique Khan when he detonated his bomb near Edgware Road station.

Six peope died, but incredibly the professor walked away—saved by his briefcase which took the full force of the blast.

His story highlights the shocking delay in helping victims of the bombing—an issue first raised by the News of the World in our What About the Victims campaign.

Last night Prof Tulloch, from Penarth, South Wales, backed our crusade. He said: "I'm so grateful for the News of the World campaign. It's very important to make sure compensation is adequate for all concerned. I was one of the lucky ones. My heart goes out to those who suffered appalling injuries and need constant care."

Tory MP for Monmouthshire David Davies yesterday said the miserly sum paid to Prof Tulloch was "appalling". He added: "It's almost a year since the bombings. This is another example of government incompetence."

The compensation claims are handled by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. So far, it has made 106 payments totalling more than £1million to victims of the attacks, which killed 52 and injured 750.

A CICA spokesman said: "We are working hard to make sure that victims of these terrible bombings receive the compensation they are entitled to as quickly as possible."

News of the World wins 2-minute silence for the victims

A NATIONWIDE two-minute silence WILL be held to remember the victims of the 7/7 London bombings—following a News of the World campaign.

The tribute to the 52 innocent people who died in the horrific attacks is to be announced by Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell this week.

The silence will take place at midday on the first anniversary of the horror. Mrs Jowell told the News of the World: "A nationwide silence will bring the country together in memory of the 52 innocent people who died on 7/7, and the hundreds of others whose lives will never be the same again.

"It will be a chance for us all to stand together, a moment of remembrance, reflection and respect. I am very grateful to the News of the World for its wholehearted support for a tribute."

Last night injured victims of the 7/7 bombings welcomed the decision.


Nina Kovacevic, 29, who was hurt in the bus blast in Tavistock Square, said: "I am pleased. It's a great way for the country to remember those who perished. And they should be remembered. It will be a very emotional time."

Nina, a project manager at a design consultancy, had flesh gouged out of her shoulder in the blast, strips of skin were torn from her face and back and her head was split, leaving a five-inch gash.

She added: "I hope everyone in Britain will mark the day with this silent show of respect." Retired journalist John Falding, whose girlfriend Anat Rosenburg, 39, died in the bus attack, said: "I think the two-minute silence will bring comfort to people who still need some public recognition of their private grief."

Grahame Russell, whose 28-year-old son Philip also died on the bus, said: "It's only right. It is respectful."

Bomber blunder

THE Security Services had evidence 7/7 bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan was intent on violence, it emerged last night.

Khan, 30, ringleader of the attack, was covertly recorded talking about plans to wage jihad. He discussed whether to say goodbye to his family, suggesting he was seeking martyrdom. The details form part of an Intelligence and Security Committee report released last week.

No comments: