Sunday, March 19, 2006



By Neville Thurlbeck

EVERY woman and girl in Britain must today be on her guard—for freed Lotto rapist Iorworth Hoare is on the prowl again.

The News of the World TWICE caught the sex beast leering at unsuspecting schoolgirls out for an innocent lunchtime stroll.

And Hoare is only one of a horde of monsters released from jail to kill, rape or maim again and again.

The shocking cases highlighted on this page all feature repeat offenders set free to destroy the lives of more victims by a justice system hopelessly skewed in the offender's favour.

Hoare—a lifelong sex offender who was sentenced to life but released after 16 years—walked A MILE out of his way to stroll past three schools, swivelling his head to lech over the giggling girls.


Now his neighbours around the upmarket Darras Hall estate in Ponteland, Northumberland, are terrified. One worried parent said last night: "He's a walking nightmare for us. We all fear he could strike at any time."

Our shock pictures show 53-year-old Hoare, who won £7million Lotto cash in jail, watching two sets of girls intently.

First he fixed them with a menacing stare as they approached him in the tree-lined streets. Then as the oblivious girls passed he turned to ogle them from behind. A neighbour who saw the entire scene told us: "There were three girls aged 14 or 15 in the first group and Hoare couldn't take his eyes off them. When they walked by he actually stopped, turned and glared at them for ages as they moved away.

"It was so blatant. He was obviously leching after them. A few minutes later he did exactly the same thing as another two girls passed. He stared at them walking off into the distance for about four seconds."

The most disturbing thing about Leeds-born Hoare's predatory prowl is the roundabout route he took from his luxury £700,000 home—to maximise his opportunities for crossing the path of teenage girls.

The neighbour told us: "He left his home at lunchtime and walked for about a mile to a cashpoint. Then he went to a baker's, bought a pie and ate it. But all the time he was very furtive as if he was looking out for someone. He then took a much longer route home which took him about a mile out of his way. I thought it was odd—but then I realised it was because he wanted to walk past THREE schools as all the girls were coming out for their midday break.

"It's an absolute scandal that people like Hoare are freed before their sentence is up and then are free to put innocent communities like us in terror."

Since being released in March last year, Hoare has changed his name to Edward Thomas and tried to disguise his appearance. The hair is now short and grey and the beard has gone.

His worried neighbour added: "He dresses as inconspicuously as possible in a country-style coat and jeans.

But we all know who he really is now and we've all told our children to keep as far away from him as they can."

The parents of Ponteland are right to be worried. Judge Richard Rougier, who sentenced Hoare to life in 1989 for brutally dragging off a 60-year-old woman in a park and trying to rape her, told him:

"Every moment you are at liberty, some woman is at risk."

And just two months ago the judge declared: "If I were a woman I wouldn't feel safe with him living near me."

Hoare has committed a series of horrendous crimes dating back over 33 years. His appalling record includes rape, three attempted rapes and three sickening assaults.

He was originally convicted of a rape bid in Leeds in June 1973 and given three years. He was only 21 when he attacked a doctor's wife in the grounds of the city's Killingbeck Hospital.


On being freed he tried to rape again and and was jailed for four years in November 1975. But he was let out early—and still a menace to women. In September 1978 he got four more years for indecent assault.

In 1983 he pounced on a woman teacher and sexually attacked her but ran off when the alarm was raised.

A few weeks later he dragged a lone 37-year-old housewife into woods and raped her. He was sentenced to seven years.

But after being released early yet again he struck once more— finally earning his life sentence.

Before his early release last year there was nationwide controversy over his big Lotto win—thanks to a ticket bought while out on day release.

He wasn't freed until March last year having served almost 16 years in prison.

Now the families of Ponteland can only keep watch and pray THEIR luck holds out.

Crack addict who butchered teacher

GENTLE teacher Robert Symons would be alive today if his brutal killer Yousef Bouhaddaou had been kept behind bars.

Instead the crack addict was released early from a five-year stretch for burglary—and just five weeks later he broke into 45-year-old Robert's west London home and stabbed him to death while his two children slept upstairs. Robert died in his wife Linda's arms.

As Bouhaddaou, 28, got life last week, it emerged he was released early despite being previously convicted of at least 19 offences. Linda, 45, said: "That man shouldn't have been on the streets. There is something wrong with a system that lets people offend again and again."

Death at hands of Devil's Child

EVIL Damien Hanson was freed seven years into a 12-year sentence for attempted murder. Just three months later he stabbed financier John Monckton to death on the doorstep of his Chelsea home in a terrifying robbery.

John's wife Homeyra was also knifed but survived. Their nine-year-old daughter Isobel had to dial 999 after finding her parents lying in a pool of blood. Hanson, 25— nicknamed the Devil's Child after The Omen movies— was granted parole even though he had a long history of violence, robbery and theft stretching back to when he was 14.

He should have got a psychological assessment upon release but an inquiry found it was either lost or never carried out so he was never placed under supervision.

Murdered by Home Office

A DISTRAUGHT husband whose wife was slaughtered as she tried to defend him from killer James Paton last night stormed: "The Home Office is responsible for her death too."

Christopher Ruane broke his silence after Paton, 25, got life last week for murdering Diane, 51, in a robbery at the couple's home. Paton was on the streets after serving just two thirds of a six-and-a-half year sentence for manslaughter when he knifed Christopher on his doorstep and slashed mum-of-five Diane's throat as she tried to intervene.

"If Paton hadn't been given such a lenient sentence he couldn't have killed my Diane," said Christopher, 59.

"Now a second family are destroyed because he was allowed back on the streets.


"I'm speaking out for Diane and for every family which has lost a loved one because the legal system has let them down."

Paton and his accomplice Carl Brady — who got 20 years—left the couple for dead after raiding their Bradford home. Paton had previously killed a man in 1998 after stamping on his chest.

Christopher said: "I hope they never get released. They should die in jail."

Serial Fiend on mission to kill

SEX fiend Anthony Rice murdered young mum Naomi Bryant — just months after being freed from a life sentence.

Rice, 48, was supposed to be under supervision on release in November, 2004, having served only 16 years.

But he stabbed Naomi 15 times because she wouldn't hold his hand in public. He told cops: "There's a determination within me to kill."

No comments: